If you're new to this whole anxiety thing, and all of the sudden the most horrible feeling comes over you, like you're going to die, it is really, really scary! As someone who has experienced these panic attacks countless times, it is a lot less surprising to me. It still sucks, but I understand it just a little bit more. I want you to know what it feels like to have a panic attack so that you will know what is going on, and that you're NOT going to die. It will pass.
First, for some people, there is a trigger. Say your friend gets sick, and that makes you really nervous about catching it. That is a trigger. For me and a lot of other people, you can't figure out what caused it-- it literally feels like a brick wall that hits you so hard and so suddenly, you feel like you're never going to feel okay again. You will, I promise.
What I experience physically when I have a panic attack:
-My palms and forehead will sweat
-My hands and legs shake uncontrollably
-I can't swallow, my throat feels insanely dry yet I still feel some sort of lump that makes me feel like I'm going to throw up
-Extreme nausea
-Difficulty breathing
-Rapid heart beat
-On some occasions, I dry-heave, like I do the action of throwing up but nothing comes out
What I experience emotionally when I have a panic attack:
-My thoughts race
-I can only think of the worst possible ending to what's happening
-I assume I'm sick and dying and having a heart attack
-Think that I'd rather die than feel the way that I do
-The more I think about what's happening the worse I feel
If this seems similar to what is happening to you, then you most likely are having a panic attack. I know how much it sucks, but trust me, there are plenty of things to do to end it and feel better, and even try to prevent future panic attacks.
No comments:
Post a Comment