How my fear of throwing up began is a mystery to me. Everyone says that they have had some sort of traumatizing experience with it, and that is why they're afraid-- not me. It's just a phobia that my brain is forcing me to deal with and I want to help you guys while I'm figuring out how to live with it myself. I want us to know that we're not alone, and that we can support each other. If you're frustrated with your phobia, and you wish you understood what was going on, just remember that me and a ton of other people know exactly how you feel and can get through it just like you will. I am going to be using all of my own ideas here, so it is all from personal experience-- not facts that I've read or researched. Now, a junior in high school, everything triggers my fear. Someone says they feel sick. Someone says someone they know feels sick or one of their family members feels sick. I eat something and don't know if it expired. I see someone throw up on tv, or worse, in real life. If I even think about throwing up I have an anxiety attack. I carry around loads of hand sanitizer, I don't use public bathrooms, I don't try on clothes in stores, sometimes I don't even eat food from other people's houses because I'm afraid that it's not safe. I can't seem to shake this fear, but I've figured out some things that help me feel a little better and more safe.
I suffer from severe panic attacks, I have had so many that I can't even imagine the amount of hours I've spent feeling horrible because of them. I am on medication, which helps, but I still experience too much anxiety for one person to handle. I may be young, 16 years old, but I have so much experience with this phobia that I know I can help. If I help just one person, this will all be worth it because no one deserves to feel the way that we do.
I remember clearly being in fifth grade and going to the nurse everyday, complaining that I didn't feel good. That seems like it would be how my fear began, but I also remember throwing up(at school!!) in fifth grade and not being particularly bothered by it. So I may not know how long I've had this fear, but I sure do have a lot of experience with it! I want to share my experiences and ways that I cope with my phobia. I remember, and this was only a month or two ago, my little brother, age 12, saying that he felt sick. I immediately ran out of the house, crying, imagining him throwing up, miserable. I love him so much and I don't want him to feel like that. Not in a selfish way, but I got so afraid that I would get sick. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do. I walked around my neighborhood for hours, too scared to go into my house. Eventually, I ran inside and went directly into my room. I washed my sheets and all of my clothes and wanted to shower, but I was too afraid to leave my room. I stayed there for a long time, and eventually came out using napkins to open doors, I didn't use silverware or plates for my food in case he had touched them, I didn't sit on the couch or go into the bathroom. I literally would go to my grandparent's house(which is next-door) to go to the bathroom. It was so debilitating and I couldn't do any simple, everyday tasks for about 10 days. He never even got sick, may I add. If you've had an experience like this, please comment and let me know-- we have to conquer this horrible phobia together!!!
I suffer from severe panic attacks, I have had so many that I can't even imagine the amount of hours I've spent feeling horrible because of them. I am on medication, which helps, but I still experience too much anxiety for one person to handle. I may be young, 16 years old, but I have so much experience with this phobia that I know I can help. If I help just one person, this will all be worth it because no one deserves to feel the way that we do.
I remember clearly being in fifth grade and going to the nurse everyday, complaining that I didn't feel good. That seems like it would be how my fear began, but I also remember throwing up(at school!!) in fifth grade and not being particularly bothered by it. So I may not know how long I've had this fear, but I sure do have a lot of experience with it! I want to share my experiences and ways that I cope with my phobia. I remember, and this was only a month or two ago, my little brother, age 12, saying that he felt sick. I immediately ran out of the house, crying, imagining him throwing up, miserable. I love him so much and I don't want him to feel like that. Not in a selfish way, but I got so afraid that I would get sick. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do. I walked around my neighborhood for hours, too scared to go into my house. Eventually, I ran inside and went directly into my room. I washed my sheets and all of my clothes and wanted to shower, but I was too afraid to leave my room. I stayed there for a long time, and eventually came out using napkins to open doors, I didn't use silverware or plates for my food in case he had touched them, I didn't sit on the couch or go into the bathroom. I literally would go to my grandparent's house(which is next-door) to go to the bathroom. It was so debilitating and I couldn't do any simple, everyday tasks for about 10 days. He never even got sick, may I add. If you've had an experience like this, please comment and let me know-- we have to conquer this horrible phobia together!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment